Tongdee Boats

long tail boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > best long tail kits.

stu46

I am looking to buy a long tail kit for my 26ft catamaran, probably about 15hp which do you consider the best KKK or SPS or any others.

Thanks stuart

February 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seagoing Cowboy

KKK and SPS are both owned by the same family.  They have been producing longtails since the late 1950's.  Either one is good, but I prefer the SPS longtail.

--

Seagoing Cowboy

February 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stu46

Ok Thank you

February 25, 2012 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sean
Site Owner

I have a KKK and a Clp. The CLP hub is aluminium much lighter and the shaft has better bushings that are plastic. It runs quieter, no clanking. I like the CLP better but you cant go wrong with either.

November 20, 2012 at 2:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kazzer

Hi!

I just found this site on a Google search.

I have started a small business importing Longtail kits from Thailand and want to promote them.  I discovered this concept in China on a recent trip down the Li river (see youtube caswellsubs  trip down the Li river )

I shall be adding more stuff to our website which is at present hosted on www.caswellexpo.com/longtail.html

Please take a look and tell you pals we're getting these units in stock.

Mike Caswell

January 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sean
Site Owner

stu46 at February 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I am looking to buy a long tail kit for my 26ft catamaran, probably about 15hp which do you consider the best KKK or SPS or any others.

Thanks stuart

Hello Stewart,

I have the KKK set up designed for the 5.5hp. - 6.5hp. Honda engine. But there is no reason to buy the smaller engine. They also have set ups for the 13hp. Honda engine. The KKK adaptor hub is heavy steel and chrome plated, it will eventually flake off a bit after years of use but they frequently last twenty or more years. I have no complaints about the unit except it is a bit noisy, and too heavy. It uses galvanized water pipe for the tail. The SPS is made by the same company KKK and is equally good.

The 13-hp. setups could run on a 15hp. engine if the mount holes matched up but I wouldn’t do it. The tails and props are matched to the rpm and the power curves of the afore mentioned Honda engines.

The unit I like the most is the CLP. Its adaptor hub is heavy high grade cast aluminum The outside tail assembly is regular steel not too heavy and the inner shaft runs on plastic bushings instead of the wood bushings in the other set ups. It is a more modern version lightweight and that is a plus. When I buy another set up it will be a CLP set up and a 6.5 engine. I plan to sell my 5.5 hp. KKK set up complete with a boat and upgrade to the 6.5 hp. engine. So you know what set up I prefer.

Note: in Thailand nearly everyone uses the Honda engine because they run for at least twenty years with no maintenance except a set of rings every 10 years or so, if you run it hard. If you use different engines, the boltholes have to be in the same location as the Honda. These are the small setups, anything larger runs a diesel or a Toyota four cyl. car engine. That said there are many mechanics here who will weld you up a unit to run any engine.

If you plan on leaving the engine on the boat in the water, you may consider the KKK or SPS. It is heavy duty. If you plan on keeping the engine off the water on a boat at home on a trailer say and want better performance and a bit lighter duty unit buy the CLP.

Check back in the next week or so I will be putting up a comparative review video of the KKK and the CLP engines showing them side by side and talking about their features.

Thanks for joining the site and for using the forum. Feel free to ask any questions about boats or engines anytime

Sean Walker

Site Owner

--
January 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob

CLP offers a Direct Shaft Type and a Worm Reduction Gear Long Tail.  What is the difference?  Does the worm have less speed but more power?

When you say the CLP is lighter duty what do you mean?  Are they just not as durable because they are made out of lighter weight material?  Do they weigh less than an SPS kit?  I am obviously tryomg to figure out which one to purchase.  Thanks

February 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seagoing Cowboy

Hi Bob,  It comes down to simple metalurgy.  Steel is stronger and heavier than aluminum.  I've seen a few CLP couplers crack around the bolt holes on the coupler flange.  I have yet to see a CLP longtail used at any racing event in Thailand.  SPS dominates there.

--

Seagoing Cowboy

April 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sean
Site Owner

stu46 at February 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Thanks stuart

this posty has allready been covered below, please check older postings, they are often more lengthy and informative. 

April 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kazzer

KKK units are $100 less expensive than SPS when purchased in the USA from mud-skipper.com.

They have better buying power and the freight is less too.

September 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

genegillis5

I'm new here , and have never owned a mudmotor, but I am leaning towards getting or building one. I live in south louisiana, but on a fixed income, don't rush into anything without studying things a little. To not be so dumb, please explain KKK, CLP,SPS, etc. Are these the kits themselves or engines you are talking about, 1 verses the other? I am very familar with the 13 Honda engines and the clone 390. I use them on a small bandsaw mill. These are very tough and great motors. Who sells these different kits you all are talking about? I havent found the site owners store yet either. Thanks I want to build myself one of the longtails.

September 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kazzer

genegillis5 at September 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I'm new here , and have never owned a mudmotor, but I am leaning towards getting or building one. I live in south louisiana, but on a fixed income, don't rush into anything without studying things a little. To not be so dumb, please explain KKK, CLP,SPS, etc. Are these the kits themselves or engines you are talking about, 1 verses the other? I am very familar with the 13 Honda engines and the clone 390. I use them on a small bandsaw mill. These are very tough and great motors. Who sells these different kits you all are talking about? I havent found the site owners store yet either. Thanks I want to build myself one of the longtails.

1.  KKK= mud-skipper.com

2. SPS = mudmotorkit.com

3. CLP = www.beaverdammudrunners.com

KKK & SPS are brothers running seperate companies.  

--
September 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.